Well, you knew it had to come. I have to comment on this monumental day! I am now almost 54 years old and for the first time in my life, I am engrossed in the election process. I have been following this contest from primary to tonight. I am in one of two counties in the state of Washington that still has in person polls for voting. My husband and I arrived to vote after work and much to our dismay, the line was out the door and when I asked someone who was leaving how long it had taken them, they said 1 1/2 hours! But, as luck would have it, the line for last names beginning with "I" was empty! It took us less than 15 minutes to get our ballot and vote!
What struck me though, was the line of people waiting to vote. A mother with a sleeping child in her arms and two more at her side, restless and wanting to get out of there, had been in line for an hour. She wanted her children to experience the unique and wondrous right of voting. I am sure she must have been an Obama supporter. There was a 19 year old, first time voter. He could barely contain himself and an hours wait was nothing for him to exercise this right for the first time in his life. I am sure he was an Obama supporter. There was an older gentleman doing nothing but grumbling about the wait, the process, the unfairness of it all. I am sure he was a McCain supporter.
When I finally got my ballot, I sat down to vote. Okay, as corny as it sounds, I actually got choked up being able to draw that black line to vote for Obama/Biden. I am incredibly proud to have been able to be a minute part of history in that regard. As I write this, no conclusion has been drawn. It is still anybody's race (although with Pennsylvania and Ohia in Obama's court, I doubt that Mc Cain can pull it out). What I do know is that this election has brought a nation together. They may not be voting for the same person, candidate, SNL impersonation, but they are all voting. I doubt this nation has seen a turnout such as this. The voters who are out there for the first time voting are now hooked. They will forever take this process seriously for what it is worth. It truly is unique in the world.
I believe that when my sons travel Europe this summer, they will no longer have to be ashamed to be from the US. The healing in the world will now begin. The healing OF the world will now begin because one of the most important things about this election is that I truly believe Barack Obama will protect our environment for generations to come.
I am so proud at this moment in time.
Happy Birthday, Wes!
6 years ago

1 comment:
Yes, Know Hope. I am hopeful again for America. I have been tearing up all day, when it was called for Obama I cried. I cannot believe it, and am so glad I can say I voted in this election. Thanks for the great post!
Post a Comment