It's amazing how silent many aspects of one's life become when you are an empty nester. Neither one of my sons can use their cell phones in their current locations. So, most of the time it remains silent, resting, waiting for someone to call so it can play the Cougar Fight Song Ringtone.
There is no background grumbling as I watch my certain shows, 24, American Idol and Top Chef. I miss that grumbling.
The house is missing the sounds of the ukelele, banjo, guitar and vinyl played on the new stereo. I am missing it.
I can ask the usual questions, "What did you do today? Have you talked to so and so today? What do you want for dinner? Are you going out tonight and if so, when will you be home?" All questions that I should have stopped asking my adult sons a long time ago anyway. Now, there are no answers coming back at me and maybe that will help me to not ask them when they are back, if they come back?
But, all is not lost. I did go on a "date" with my husband. We went to see a great movie, Gran Torino, classic Clint Eastwood and then some. We went for a walk in the Harbor and then went shopping. Then he even cooked dinner.
My renewed commitment to diet and exercise is going well and we have developed kind of a once a week dinner at the inlaws routine that is nice.
And there is comfort in silence as well. I can chat online with my son in Alaska even if not on the phone. Sometimes I think it is easier because you have time to thing about what you want to say and then type it in. And both of them are so talented on the computer that they have the most interesting of blogs, at least to me, The Traveling Halbury and Radiate Warmth. (see blogs I follow). They keep me updated on things happinging in their world and if I can't be there, I can at least live vicariously through their blogs.
And best of all, on those very special occasions that keep me going, I can see and talk to them both via Skype. It is the most amazing of technology, one that has Grandma and Grandpa Iverson caught with their mouths open in wonder. When I can see their faces and hear their voices I know I can make it until I can kiss those faces again.
I guess it's kind of like needing the rain to appreciate the sun, (no pun intended). While I never need anything to make me appreciate the family I have more than I do, it doesn't hurt to be without for awhile to really know the importance of it all.
Clearly, not much to post on this blog at this time until I really get used to this again. I will though. I just have to shake this Silence in my mind.
Happy Birthday, Wes!
6 years ago

1 comment:
aw mom. This was a sad post. I miss you too! A bit of the initial traveling loneliness has set in. This happens once i first settle in and have time to think for a moment. I am sure it will go away soon being that I have to start planning classes and writing lesson plans. also I will be entertained by travelling to london this weekend. ANyways, just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you!
Post a Comment