Sunday, October 12, 2008

Why am I here?

My son is on an island in the Bering Sea making a difference with kids everyday, whether he knows it or not.
His friend is in the Peace Corp in Eastern Europe making a difference in the lives of the villagers every day.
These are 26 year old men.
I am almost 54 and finally find myself asking this question: Why am I here?
This question can be asked on many levels. Sometimes I find myself at the grocery store and have to ask myself why I am there, what was it I came to get?
Sometimes I am at work, bored as hell and the question has to pop up, doesn't it?
At the Oregon State vs Washington State Cougar football game this weekend the question was asked of me by a Beaver fan, "why are you here? Why would you drive so far knowing the result would be a pathetic performance resulting in such embarrassment?"
The answer, for me, is simple. Everything I do is filed away for future reference. Maybe that is why I survive the loneliness of being and Empty Nester. I was at that baseball game when my son hit the first Grand Slam home fun in Gig Harbor Little League history and I can smile about it even now. I was at that All Star game when my 9 year old son through a runner out at home plate from left field to everyone's surprise and I can be proud, even now. I was with both my parents when the passed on to whatever is there after their life on this world and I can be glad for that. And how could I have known that a choice of college that was originally made because of boy would shape my life for the better and be the reason I travel so far in support of the team?
So, when I get to this point, admittedly feeling every so slightly sorry for myself, I can pull up the file of past experiences and be every so grateful that they are there for me to answer the question of why I am here, just for the experience. It doesn't have to be any greater reason or purpose. Who knows what todays experience will become someday.

2 comments:

Hal Iverson said...

Nice post mom. I thought you were going to take it down the road "Why am I here, what is my purpose, my boys are gone" and I would be ready to pounce on that explaining how my life would be horrible without your daily positivity and love...but you didn't take it down that road, you know why you are here, you know why you are going to come to Pullman this weekend to watch the cougs lose to a 45 point favored USC, you know why you are going to wake up in the wee hours of the morning and go to work tomorrow, and you know why you are going to do all of the things in life that you may not want to...because you make the world a better place, and frankly- we need you! you are a loyal coug, and a loving mother and wife. You do have me wondering though...why am I here...at the Daily Grind, studying for an exam tomorrow morning in my 5th year at WSU, with next semester and the rest of my life as a big question mark...? why AM I here?...well probably because my darn mom instilled in me an importance on striving to do your best in school, and doggonit I havent been able to shake that. Even in my last semester at WSU, knowing that I will already graduate Magna Cum Laude. Thank you mom. I know why you are here. I love you.

Anonymous said...

God you have great kids.Keep up the good work


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!