Friday, February 6, 2009

Degrees of Separation

Distance can be literal or figurative. Seattle is 4799 miles from London, England. This is a fact. It is 8 hours later in England than in Seattle or Gig Harbor.

It is not the distance or the time difference so much that makes this a difficult separation from my son. It is the glaring truth that from here on out, there will always be a distance. Right now it is miles, time, but it is soon to be a life difference.

It is hard to go from a time when I received a daily phone call, on the way home from class, nothing else to do so call Mom while walking home and talk. I lived for those phone calls. Just to hear that voice that was my last tangible grasp at all that was important to me. Now, there is no phone call. I don't even have a phone number to call. I am a slave to Skype and a time difference that doesn't seem to accomodate two lives 4799 miles or so apart. I hate to seem desperate but you could say I am. I miss my hugs! I love him more than he loves me.

On the other hand, I was able to have a great Happy Friday kind of conversation with Kale. He is so interesting and so much a part of me. I was so lucky to have three years and two months with him as a baby and toddler in Conconully, all by ourselves. I feel like so much of what he is today is founded in that experience. I love talking to him on the phone. I can tell when he is happy, concerned, sick or just bored (usually by the end of the convesation). He can distance himself in the world physically but never emotionally. I love him more than he knows.

Who loves their mom?

2 comments:

Kale Iverson said...

I do!

Mom its gonna be ok.

We're a comin home.

Thanks for talkin on Friday.

Love you

Hal Iverson said...

I do! More. This online "who loves their mom?" contest needs to stop. When one of us has more consistent internet, the game is off. WHen we are both present, beside you, it is equal. THis does not count as an official win for kale, and I now ban any further contests. Now mom, if you would like to set up a 3 way conversation on skype, then I say....GAME ON! Miss you mom, will be home sooner than you think.


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!