
President's Day is a national holiday to celebrate the birthdays of two famous presidents, Washington and Lincoln. It is celebrated on a Monday in February even if it isn't the actual birthday of either one. President's Day is the day that celebrates the birth of leaders.
In 1986, President's Day fell on February 17th. In 1986 another great leader was born on President's Day.
As the day started, I knew that by the end of the day, my second child would be born. At this point of course I had no idea if it would be Hannah Ma
rie or Hal David. You see, this was small town USA. There were no ultrasounds to determine the sex of the child before they were born. I don't think I would have wanted to know but still, it was not an option. I already had the most perfect of sons and everyone around me was certain I would have a little girl. My son kept talking about the baby sister that was coming. I was afraid. I knew how to take care of a boy but what would I do with a girl?
About 3:00 in the afternoon we headed into town driving the 14 miles from Conconully to Omak and took our son to Grandma's and told them we were headed into town to check out the situation at the hospital. Omak only had one hospital, two birthing beds and as it turned out, both of those were presently in use so there was no room at the inn, so to speak. I checked in with a doctor at the clinic, mine was out of town for the three day weekend of course. He was immediately nervous because most women as far along as I was at that point would have been in bed in labor a long time ago. I told him the situation at the hospital and he said not to wait more than a half hour.
So we decided to go to the pet store. What could be more soothing than a room full of aquariums? We were walking around looking, nervous with anticipation and made even more so when the clerk innocently asked when the baby was due. I told her in about 4 hours or so and she proceeded to follow us around the store until we finally had to leave. I guess she just didn't want the baby born there.
And right on time, within 4 hours of our arrival at the hospital, a bed finally available, our second son was born, 8 lbs 13 oz. My doctor had made it just in time. I mean just in time. He had put his rubber gloves on so quickly that he didn't even get all his fingers in the right places. I was so relieved and happy to have another son.
This was the birth of a leader. My son. His entire life he was to follow in the footsteps of the best of examples of a leader in his older brother. This is where he developed the instinct of leadership. To this day he will deny his ability to be a leader but he is. And, in the shadow of Abraham Lincoln, he is also one of the most honest people I know. He may not be destined to be the leader of the free world but he will be a leader of his own world. I am so proud of him.
In 1986, President's Day fell on February 17th. In 1986 another great leader was born on President's Day.
As the day started, I knew that by the end of the day, my second child would be born. At this point of course I had no idea if it would be Hannah Ma
rie or Hal David. You see, this was small town USA. There were no ultrasounds to determine the sex of the child before they were born. I don't think I would have wanted to know but still, it was not an option. I already had the most perfect of sons and everyone around me was certain I would have a little girl. My son kept talking about the baby sister that was coming. I was afraid. I knew how to take care of a boy but what would I do with a girl?About 3:00 in the afternoon we headed into town driving the 14 miles from Conconully to Omak and took our son to Grandma's and told them we were headed into town to check out the situation at the hospital. Omak only had one hospital, two birthing beds and as it turned out, both of those were presently in use so there was no room at the inn, so to speak. I checked in with a doctor at the clinic, mine was out of town for the three day weekend of course. He was immediately nervous because most women as far along as I was at that point would have been in bed in labor a long time ago. I told him the situation at the hospital and he said not to wait more than a half hour.
So we decided to go to the pet store. What could be more soothing than a room full of aquariums? We were walking around looking, nervous with anticipation and made even more so when the clerk innocently asked when the baby was due. I told her in about 4 hours or so and she proceeded to follow us around the store until we finally had to leave. I guess she just didn't want the baby born there.
And right on time, within 4 hours of our arrival at the hospital, a bed finally available, our second son was born, 8 lbs 13 oz. My doctor had made it just in time. I mean just in time. He had put his rubber gloves on so quickly that he didn't even get all his fingers in the right places. I was so relieved and happy to have another son.
This was the birth of a leader. My son. His entire life he was to follow in the footsteps of the best of examples of a leader in his older brother. This is where he developed the instinct of leadership. To this day he will deny his ability to be a leader but he is. And, in the shadow of Abraham Lincoln, he is also one of the most honest people I know. He may not be destined to be the leader of the free world but he will be a leader of his own world. I am so proud of him.
Now, a birthday tr
ibute would not be complete without at least a few embarrassing photos but unfortunately, my scanner is not letting me scan those baby pictures. So this will have to do for now.
Happy Birthday Hal. Go for the gusto!
Happy Birthday Hal. Go for the gusto!

No comments:
Post a Comment