Monday, May 25, 2009

If they were here....



We went to the Tahoma National Cemetery today to visit Mom and Dad. It is a very special place on Memorial Day and it is the kind of place I know Mom and Dad would be proud to have as their final resting place, if they were here.

If they were here, with the beautiful, sunny weather I am certain I would have them over for a BBQ. Mom would show up in her pink outfit, happy as a clam just to have somewhere to go. Dad would find her a comfortable chair from which to reign for the events of the day. He would bring her a plate which would have to include Cheetos, red licorice and of course, a cup of coffee. If they were here, they would have been married for 65 years!

If they were here, I would love for them to meet my son's new girlfriend and Dad would clearly fulfill his duty to embarrass my son in front of her but I am certain he would be very smitten with her.

If they were here, they would be so proud of their family. They would dote on their new great grandson, Haywood and Dad would most certainly declare how he had to special with Briana for his mother. I can just hear Dad boasting of Jordan's prowess on the baseball field "you should see her throw the ball!". And Dad would most certainly chime in with the rest of us urging Casey to fulfill her brilliance and earn her GED. Mom would be so proud to know that her two grandsons had both become teachers, following in her footsteps. Both would have been so glad to have their oldest daughter near them again and by now I am sure would have spent a few weekends in Sequim with them. Dad would rave about Beth's museum, Mark's art and certainly would be proud of Steve who is about to run a marathon!! Dad would be anxious to see Barry and Lori and hear all about Lori's trip to Thailand and he would be ever so fretful about Lin and Candy, however, he would also be very proud of the way his oldest son has kept his attitude hopeful and certain of better days ahead. In a perfect world, those days would include a complete family gathering, including his two grandsons and four great grandchildren who have not been together for such a very long time. That would make them happiest of all, if they were here.

If they were here, my Saturdays with Dad would continue. Off to Shari's for breakfast, no matter what time of day it was, one hotcake, well done, crisp bacon and if he was really hungry, one egg over easy. Once nourished and full of coffee, off to Wal Mart to buy supplies which would most certainly include his nicotine gum because the Wal Mart brand was so much better than Nicorette. I could take Mom to the beauty parlor to get her hair done. She may not have said much but I know she felt good when she had that done and she was always so beautiful.

If they were here, they would tell me how much they loved me. And even though they are not here in body, I do hear them tell me that every day. So, I guess it shouldn't be, if they were here but rather, they are here with me and for that, I am grateful.

Happy Memorial Day

No comments:


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!