Sunday, June 14, 2009

Different but the same

I got off the phone yesterday with my sons who were on a bus traveling to Palermo where they were going to catch a ferry the next day to Sardinia. The conversation was full of excitement in their voices. They has seen amazing places, eaten unforgettable food and recently met some true friends. These are the same things I experienced in my travels over 30 years ago.

I went to school at the Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelm Universitaet in Bonn, Germany 1976-1977. I was there for a full year. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:University-bonn_2005-11-18.jpg. I went to school every day in a castle! I had never experienced the history that permeates Europe like that. That aspect of travel hasn't changed.

Between semesters there are two months. I was lucky enough to have parents who fully supported my travels, emotionally and monetarily and was able to travel during those two months using a Eurail pass to go anywhere I wanted. I was able to go to just about everywhere in Germany and went to Austria, Switzerland, France, Spain, Amsterdam, Morocco, but I spent most of my time in Italy. That is where my sons are now. They went to Rome and Pompeii as did I. However, their travels have taken them to the amazing world of Sicily. What hasn't changed is the emotional and sometime monetary support of their parents or the rudimentary elements of travel abroad.

When I started out on my two months, I met a woman from Federal Way traveling at the same time. Her name was Dee and she had just gotten off of a Norwegian sailing ship and was spending the money she had made traveling. I ended up traveling the entire two months with her and for many years, we remained very close friends. My sons have met up with some travelers from Texas and in a very short time, they have become very close and likely will be friends for a very long time. This aspect of traveling has not changed.

What has changed is the way in which the travelers, my sons, can communicate their experiences as they have them. When I was away for an entire year there was no email, international cells phones, or cell phones at all, no facebook or blogs. In an entire year, I called home once, on Mother's Day. My communication was old fashioned letter writing. I kept a journal, another out of date tool these days, and about every week, I tore the pages out of that journal and sent it home for my parents to read. I left nothing out of this journal and I can only imagine the horror they felt reading some of my experiences. My parents kept that journal for me and until our dog chewed it up, I was able to read it to reminisce over those experiences. I am able to talk to my sons at will (thanks to the international cell phone I purchased for them) and they can email, comment on blogs and facebook. They will have their blogs for the foreseeable future and no dog will be able to chew them up erasing those thoughts. This is very different than it was for me.

I tell my sons every time I talk to them, email them or comment on their blogs to be careful. My parents did not have that luxury. That has changed. I tell them I love them, miss them, can't wait for them to get home. They know that but I like to tell them anyway. I knew that my parents felt that way too but they weren't able to tell me. How did they do it?

It is so important to have life experiences and I treasure those I had for that year in Europe. In many ways they shaped my life to come and in passing that along to my sons, it will keep on growing in impact on the lives of many people as I am sure they will pass this along in life to whatever families they may have.

Finally, one thing I know that has not changed is the fact that as much amazement, fun, unique experiences they may be having, there is a very large part of my sons anxious to get home to their families and friends and friends and family who feel the same. There truly is no place like home so be safe, my sons, and we will see you soon.

No comments:


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!