Monday, August 24, 2009


Yesterday would have been my mom's 87th birthday and it was my 29th wedding anniversary. It was the perfect time for a family get together.

While the weather could have been better, the sharing of family stories, music, food and fun and games was perfect at Twanoh State Park. It was, after all, one of Mom's favorite places. When Dad wanted to stay home on a Sunday because there was so much to do around the house, Mom would insist that we go to the beach. So, that is exactly what we did on her birthday.

Family gatherings are so much fun when the great grandchild, great nephew, second cousin known as Haywood is there. Cute doesn't even come close to describing this little one. He now walks, talks (including sign language and Spanish) and loves to be the center of attention. His mom was special when she was born and it has carried over to her wonderful son. I just wish she would plan to add to her family because she does it so well!

It is always a special day when I get to spend it with family, including both my sons! It was just so nice to be able to watch them as they tossed the football, played catch with a baseball and there was a little bit of a tennis competition. Neither has played tennis in years but their true athletic ability came through as they played a 3 game set. Kale prevailed after each game went to deuce and then some. Today, of course, they are out buying tennis rackets, tennis balls and playing again.

Then of course the highlight was the music performed by Jordan on the guitar and Briana on vocals, aided by Haywood during practice and Hal during the performance in back up vocals. I have to admit to a little tear in my eye. Not only was the song sentimental but it brought to mind a sort of passing of the torch. When I was Jordan's age, I did the performing at the family gatherings. Like Jordan, I taught myself to play guitar, I wrote songs and then performed them in front of a family who of course said they loved it, whether or not it was any good. Funny how life cycles around sometimes.

Mom's birthday always seemed to bring us together when she was alive and it seems it still does. It was a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Kale Iverson said...

um...hal won. but I will avenge the loss eventually.


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!