Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Birthday Boy Factoids



So, 24 years ago my son Hal was born. Since that day, he has brightened the world for all who know him. The question is, how well does anyone really know Hal?

We certainly all know that Hal is known for his hugs. Nothing can turn a bad day around like his hugs. But did you know that the reason he is so good at it is that his brother taught him that? From the day Hal was born, his brother embraced him and never let him go.

Hal has great appreciation for all kinds of music, okay, maybe not Country, but did you know that he owes that appreciation to his Dad and he started very young on the classics, Jimmy Buffet, The Doors, War, Elton John.

His hair! Hal has beautiful hair, but did you know he was born really bald? It took him almost a year to get a full head but then it was so blond and curly everyone would comment on it. His phases of hair styles still continues to amaze, yes and shock, sometimes.

Hal was Senior Class President but did you know that the day he was born, February 17th, 1986 was actually President's Day? A coincidence? I think not.

And how many well spoken individuals like Hal can claim their first word was "Diarrhea"? Really, it was. Those who know Hal now see him as somewhat of a ham in front of an audience. The MC at the PHS Talent Contest comes to mind, not to mention his Ireland Videos. It wasn't always so. In an Easter Daycare performance of "Four Little Frogs", Hal being one of the frogs sitting on the log, just didn't want to do it and had to be lead away from the performance without finishing. He was mad at me for laughing so hard.

Hal is pretty easy going, everything just seems to always work out for him. Even the day he was born. I had to wait for one of the two birthing beds at the small Omak Hospital to open up but when it did, just a couple hours later Hal was born. Easy.

There have been some amazing birthdays in Hal's life, most of the last 5 birthdays though have been away from home. It's hard to believe that Hal didn't really have a birthday party with any friends other than his brothers for many years. We actually worried that he would never make friends. What? According to Facebook he currently has 397 friends. But in real life, he has lifelong Bu Cru friends as well as those from college, some of whom took him away from his home, again, on his birthday to spend it in Ireland of all places!

Hal loves food, just about any kind. But did you know he loved eating so much that he would sit in the backyard at the babysitters and eat caterpillars? It's true! I do think he prefers birthday cake though.

Hal just grew up cute! He was born in the small town of Conconully, Washington, population 187 at the time but moved to Gig Harbor when he was just 8 months old. He has sentimental ties to the Omak area and the apple orchard where he so often visited his grandparents. He has carved his way in the world so far with a personality that is enviable but also a humbleness that is genuine. He lives life to the fullest, loves family and friends unconditionally and cares about the world. He will make a difference! I am proud to call him my son, have him in my life and can't wait for him to be home, even though I have a feeling he is at home anywhere he is.

Happy Birthday Hal!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Susan--I've loved reading about your boys' adventures. I have one vivid memory of Hal as a cute little boy. I wrote about it a long time ago on my blog. Do you remember this?

http://bythebrooke.blogspot.com/2009/03/blue-lake-bloggers.html

Hal Iverson said...

thank you mom!! Although a lot of the "factoids" were a little more embarrassing than I expected, I was happy to read your thoughts. I felt very loved 5,000 miles away on my birthday. Sorry that I am so far away, but you are always close to my thoughts. I love you very much!


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!