About three weeks ago I decided to see if I could gear up to run in a 5K run someday. I had heard about this Podcast, Couch to 5K, that would slowly get you running a 5K in 9 weeks. Couch almost perfectly described my sedentary existence. Up at 4:30 am, in the car to commute 1 1/2 hours by 5:30 am to get to work and sit in front of a computer until 3:30 pm then a 2 hour commute to get back home by 5:30 pm. My excuse for not doing anything when I got home was exhaustion. How could I be exhausted from basically sitting all day?
So, you can imagine the difficulty I faced trying to get started running. I have to say, the very first week basically confirmed my fears. I was completely embarrassed by the fact that I couldn't jog 60 seconds without breathing hard. What happened? I used to be so active, able to do just about anything I wanted. It's not just age, is it? I had to prove that even at 55 I could accomplish something outside my comfort zone.
I made it through week one and today I started week 4 which has increased the runs to two sets of 3 minutes then 5 minutes. I surprised myself, not only making it through the runs but enjoying it! I could have run more but I have been warned to stick with the schedule. It was a sense of satisfaction unlike anything I have felt for a very long time, probably since I successfully gave birth naturally twice 24 and 27 years ago.
I am now scheduled to run in a 5K on June 13th with my son. He could run a half marathon easily but he is supporting me by doing my first 5K with me, http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/events/shorerun/index.html. I am particularly happy that this first run supports the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center because I know that various forms of cancer have touched the lives of everyone I know in one way or another.
I am not saying that I will become one of those people who runs in snow and hail at 4:30 in the morning, although I have had to run in the rain, this is the Northwest after all. But I will say I now look forward to my runs when I get home. I never thought I would say that. I thought I would torture myself to reach my goal in this personal quest then say "I did it" and move on but actually, I think I will try to keep this up as long as my body will allow. It's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.
What personal quests do you have?
Happy Birthday, Wes!
6 years ago

1 comment:
Hmm, personal quest? Well after a recent annual physical where the Dr suggested that I loose about 15 lbs and that my cholesterol was high enough that he might put me on medication to bring it down, I suppose that my personal quest is to stop eating like a teenager. Out with the donuts, hamburgers and fries and in with the oatmeal and salads. So far so good...I think that I have dropped a few pounds already, we will find out about that bad old cholesterol in a few months. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the upcoming run
Post a Comment