You know how sometimes you go into something with high expectations only to be disappointed? Well not this time. Mom's Weekend at WSU 2008 was one for the record books. Sorry Kale, but this goes down as the best one ever! Everything combined to make it that way. Perfect 80 degree weather, lots of activity, Elton John and of course, my son.
Through self control I was able to wake up on Saturday early, feeling great (ie: no hangover). Breakfast at The Old European Restaurant, probably the best breakfasts in town. Then on to see the Grizzly bears which a group at WSU is doing research with, raising them with human contact. Absolutely a great way to start the day, so cute!
Then, on to the craft fair which is usually a quick walk through, lots of stuff I am not interested in but this time, I actually bought a couple things. It was pretty good.
Then, what's better than college football, right? The spring scrimmage was fun, interesting to watch the new no-huddle offense. As always, we have the optomism that only a true Coug can have, maybe this year won't be so bad.
What's better than college football? WSU baseball on an 80 degree day beating the number 2 team in the nation, that's what. It was a great day for baseball and the team beat Arizona State 10 - 5. The down side? A nasty red face from all the sun! It was worth it though.
Mom's Weekend in Pullman is crowded to say the least. Thankfully, with the weather what it was it was perfect for a BBQ at Rainey Park so we didn't have to beat out a crowd for a dinner table. The burgers prepared by my own gourmet son were the best! Lot's of people and lot's of fun.
Finally, what can I say? Elton John. We arrived at the door to the coliseum right at 8:00 and there was a huge line. We were going to miss the opening act. We jumped to different entrance though and sat in our seats just as the lights went down. Who was the opening act? No one knew. That's because there wasn't one. Sir Elton himself came out and sat down at the piano to play. Our cheap seats turned out to be awesome because the piano was situated so he was facing us and we had a great view.
I need to set the stage so you can understand this moment for me. Elton John was a part of just about everything I did in college. He was always spinning (yes, only vinyl in those days) when I got ready to go out, studied, went to sleep. The very first song of his I ever heard was "Your Song" and my favorite all time song is "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding". So here I was, back on my old college campus and Elton John comes out and plays "Funeral for a Friend" right off the bat. Of course, I got teary eyed and made my son laugh at me. But it was so surreal. I now understand why I have never seen Elton John in concert before. I was meant to have this single experience. This may be his last tour but even if it isn't, I doubt I would go see him again because I want to always have this experience. He played for 2 1/2 hours then spent 5 minutes signing autographs for those lucky fans in the front rows and left the stage. No "Your Song" had been played. I had forgotten about the encore. He came back out and played "Don't Let the Sun Go Down" and ended with "Your Song". Absolutely perfect!
I have to say, I am a little old for all this excitement and am exhausted today but it was so worth it. It is my last Mom's Weekend. For that I am sad. I have had unique experiences at each and every one of them and I am so glad that both my sons were willing to show me good times at all of them. Just another "last" putting an exclamation point to that "Empty Nest" feeling once again.
Happy Birthday, Wes!
7 years ago

4 comments:
Hello Mrs. Iverson this is one of your son, Kale Iverson student. My name is Kevin Williams. i have to go sorry.
It was a very special weekend. I need to get the cameras developed, but what a great time. By the way, I don't think it is your age that couldn't take all of the excitement, I am exhausted as well. I took a 2.5 hour nap after you left, and got a long night of sleep, and am still tired today. I lvoe you mom, thank you for sharing such a special weekend with me.
man, I'm so sorry I missed it! I mean even I would like to see Elton John. I'm glad he seemed to be having a good time. I was worried he wouldn't try hard because it was pullman.
Hey, Sis! I learned something from your blog. Didn't know you were such an Elton fan! Sounds like the weekend was fabulous. Love, Pam
Post a Comment