Sunday, May 17, 2009

Washing away Winter



So many ways to wash away winter, not the least of which is the fact that for at least three days, my son is home. Oh how a hug can brighten up my world.

As I waited for him to come home I decided that I would wash his car for him. It had been sitting under a carport, of sorts, since he left in January. This year we used a water absorbing thing in the interior so that it did not grow mold inside. But there was nothing we could do about the outside. Five months of pine needles, pollen, rain, snow and mud combined to make it just a nasty looking piece of work. But it cleaned up very nice and I couldn't help but think as I was washing it that it was kind of like washing away the entire winter. I was washing away his past for him and now he has only a great, sunny future full of love, new adventures and summer.

Then, of all things, this weekend has been picture perfect weather, mid 70's, light breeze, birds singing all day long, reinforcing this whole theme of washing away the winter. I know that the rain will return but it won't be winter rain anymore.

We will have a BBQ today with Grandma and Grandpa and we will finally be able to meet the girl in my son's life. Again, the first BBQ of the season, the first meeting of someone who could very well be in my son's life forever, therefore in mine, and I am really looking forward to that. I hope she likes us as much as I am sure we will like her. When we throw that first horseshoe or hit that first croquet ball, winter will be officially gone and summer will have arrived.

Finally, I am back on track with weight loss and fitness and am not only washing away winter weight but that winter mentality that had me thinking there was no reason to pay attention to myself. It's just me and my man and he loves me no matter what. But life is simply more enjoyable in the summer, with a healthier body and healthier mind.

Winter is in the rear view mirror and sunshine is shining brightly through the windshield again!

1 comment:

Syd said...

This was such a touching post to read. Thank you again for having me. I enjoyed myself very much and can't wait till' we can all get together again.

p.s. I loved you guys!!! ;)


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!