Sunday, July 5, 2009

A kid is a kid is a kid at heart

My two weeks of vacation have come to an end. I will need to return to work, the daily grind, tomorrow. But I have just had the greatest last three day weekend to end it on.

Friday we went to the Seattle International Beer Festival, more for the experience than any real drinking although the array of beers from all around was quite amazing. The best part was being there as a family and spending the day together. Of course, diet or no diet, we had to stop at Dick's Drive In on Queen Anne. Then, we had to buy our fireworks on the way home. We kept thinking we needed one more thing and in the end, we bought way too much, but oh well!

Saturday was the Fourth of July, Independence Day. We always spend it at home and until last year, it was usually just my husband and I. Last year, the boys stayed around, a few of their friends came and some family. This year, no family decided to come but lots of young friends made it. In fact, my husband and I were the only ones not between the ages of 21 and 26. How special that so many youngsters were okay with hanging out with us!

What I found is that no matter what the age, everyone remains a kid at heart. A summer day, the 4th of July, picnic food and fireworks tends to bring that out. We had a bunch of 20 somethings at the house. It was hot. The legendary slip and slide had to come out. When it did, so did the kid in everyone. I may not have actually participated but the joy I experienced just watching them made me feel young again anyway. We all got into the groove with horseshoes, a new game called "cups" and hillbilly horseshoes.


There was lots of food, a fire with s'mores and guitar and ukelele music. And then the fireworks. There is something about lighting things that blow up that is inherently vital to the being of every young person. We had some wild "wizard" roman candle action going on with Hal, Kale and Sydney. I even got into the act lighting up some of the "Trilogy" artillery shells. While I may have exited a little early, it went on well into the wee morning hours. I hope the neighbors still like us.

The funny thing was, the next morning it didn't end. I got up, got coffee, bagels, juice, fruit ready and everyone awoke in their own time waking up in either their truck, the back of a car, a tent, sofa or bed. Their young bodies had taken a beating on the slip and slide but they got up and going enough to eventually get back into that "kid" zone. They decided to play freeze tag. Remember that game? I have not laughed that hard in a very long time. I so enjoyed seeing these young people just having fun, no adult pressures or expectations to weigh them down.

All in all, this was a special holiday weekend. I won't mind going back to work because basically, I left nothing on the field this vacation. Besides, my sons are home. That's really all I need.

No comments:


Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!